Microcasting: Things not to do part 1

I've been writing this blog for a few months to keep interested parties (about 150 people ) apprised of our progress . There wasn't much good to report last week because of technology problems over the weekend starting Friday October 12.

Some back story is needed. Looking at the raw server logs for two months led to some surprising conclusions . At least 65% of all our traffic is coming from IOS devices. This means at least 6 out of 10 views of our content views come from someone with an iPhone, IPad or iPod Touch. That's interesting.

We're in the middle of monetizing * a portion our traffic by utilizing a third party tracking and ad sales system. To be accepted we had to have at least 20,000 aggregate views in a month which we surpassed in September and have quintupled in October so far. The flip side is that implementation requires some testing and careful coding. Nothing is as easy as it seems it should be.

During the course of our initial implementation we managed to somehow do the one thing we never ever want to do again -- cut off people using IOS -- which as I said means anyone on an Iphone, Ipod or Ipad. No one else was affected -- not Android, not Windows, not even OSX -- just IOS users.

Our bandwidth utilization and 206 hits (views) went down by about 65% over where it should have been for October 13th an 14th. So we proved the hard way that IOS is over half the traffic generated by smartphones. In our case it is 60% of ALL OUR traffic.

The following link is to a confirming story that came out a few days later. Note that the statistics are concerned with smartphone traffic rather than all web traffic.

http://tinyurl.com/8cbqpy2

As noted our actual bandwidth utilization dropped by almost 70% overnight. For the weekend of the 12th we did a little over 9,000 views. However the good news is how fast it bounced back. Last weekend we had over 32,000 DVI and premiered a new show focused on just East Nashville that had the strongest numbers we've ever had.